If, like many Americans, your family car is also used for purposes that could be considered commercial use, you may want to steer yourself into a chair and look over your insurance policy.
You'll need to consider buying a commercial policy or make sure your existing policy covers the vehicle for business use. Every company has different guidelines and may surcharge for business-use coverage on a personal auto policy.
One thing to keep in mind when determining if you should have a commercial auto or personal auto policy is that it isn't where you drive, but why you are driving:
- Are you a sales manager who visits different stores/locations within your region?
- Are you delivering pizza or other goods to customers?
- Do employees drive your vehicle?
- Do you drive people for a fee? (Rideshare such as Uber or Lyft)
- Does your vehicle have commercial license plates?
- Do you haul equipment such as trailers, ladders, etc. in or on your vehicle?
- Do you need more liability coverage than a personal auto policy provides?
- Do you need special coverage for situations encountered while conducting business?
If you are think that you might need a commercial auto policy, or have questions about what is covered under your personal auto policy, please give your helpful Absolute Insurance agent a call today at 515-279-2722 or email us at email@example.com.